A Delaware judge has decided that Twitter’s lawsuit against Elon Musk will start on Oct. 17 and last for five days. The lawsuit is about Musk’s decision to end a $44 billion deal to buy Twitter.
The trial dates were set by Judge Kathaleen St. Jude McCormick, who is in charge of the case. The order came out late Thursday. McCormick had already ruled in Twitter’s favour that the proceedings could be moved up and take place in October. However, the two sides kept fighting over when they should start, with Twitter pushing for Oct. 10.
Musk’s lawyers had asked for the trial to be put off until 2023. Twitter’s legal team said that the case needed to move quickly to limit the “harm” to its business and make sure that the deal could be finished before Oct. 24, which was the “drop dead” date that the two sides had agreed to close the deal by.
This month, Twitter filed a lawsuit against Musk in the Delaware Court of Chancery to force the billionaire CEO of Tesla to stick to his deal to buy the social media company. Musk had said he wanted to back out of the deal, so Twitter sued him to make him keep his word.inst
Musk’s lawyer had previously said that Twitter was “in material breach of multiple provisions” of the deal by not giving Musk the information he asked for so he could figure out how many spam accounts and bots were on the platform. Later, Twitter’s lawyers said that Musk’s attempt to get out of the deal was “invalid and wrong.” They also said in the lawsuit that Musk was using bots as an excuse to try to get out of a deal he now regrets making.
COMING this Halloween season: 'Twitter and Tesla CEO Elon Musk will go to trial starting on Oct. 17 in Delaware.'https://t.co/HkH8SbnQUg
— Dennis Romero (@dennisjromero) July 29, 2022
Twitter, on the other hand, keeps moving forward with the deal. Tuesday, Twitter sent a letter to its shareholders saying that the merger agreement would be voted on at a special virtual meeting on September 13.
Media: "@elonmusk countersued @Twitter on Friday, escalating his legal fight against the social media company over his bid to walk away from the $44 billion purchase, although the lawsuit was filed confidentially." @tomhals https://t.co/xMivqZRfcO @Reuters pic.twitter.com/TghS70fSXL
— Porter Anderson (@Porter_Anderson) July 30, 2022