According to CBS Los Angeles, Eric Holder, the man charged in the fatal shooting of Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle, was found guilty of first-degree murder on Wednesday. Before reaching its decision, the jury deliberated for about six hours.
According to The Associated Press, Holder, 32, was charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder after two bystanders were hit by gunfire, but the jury found him guilty of two counts of attempted voluntary manslaughter instead.
In March 2019, Hussle, born Ermias Asghedom, was fatally shot outside of his Los Angeles clothing store. He was 33.
Prosecutors said Holder’s attack was calculated and premeditated when the trial began last month. According to the Associated Press, Deputy District Attorney John McKinney stated that Holder knew he was going to kill Hussle and that Holder shot him at least ten times and kicked him in the head before fleeing.
McKinney stated that the two disagreed — Hussle had heard Holder was a snitch and wanted to “clear that up,” according to the AP. According to the deputy district attorney, the two, along with two of Hussle’s friends, had a “cool conversation” with Holder before the attack, noting that Hussle didn’t have any security with him when he visited his store.
Prosecutors, on the other hand, had a difficult time getting witnesses to testify. According to the Associated Press, one police official explained their reluctance as a fear of being labeled as a snitch.
Meanwhile, Holder’s attorney, Aaron Jansen, told the jury that Hussle’s murder was not premeditated, and that Holder had no intention of shooting the two bystanders. According to the Associated Press, he blamed the attack on “heated passion.”
According to Jansen, Holder was attacked by “multiple individuals” last week while in a jail holding cell. According to Jansen, he was cut with a razor and taken to the hospital, where he received an MRI and staples in the back of his head.
Read more :