12-year-old boy dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

A 12-year-old boy died on Sunday after being exposed to carbon monoxide in an apartment in the city of Airdrie, Alberta.

An emergency team arrived at a housing building on Willowbrook Road around 9:00 am to treat someone in distress who was not feeling well, Global News reported. It was on arrival that they found a dangerously high level of carbon monoxide and contacted the city’s fire department.

A total of 136 apartments had to be evacuated.

A 12-year-old boy was rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced late in the afternoon. Two members of his family were also taken to the hospital for treatment.

An investigation was initiated to determine the causes of this accumulation of carbon monoxide, which could be related to poor ventilation.

Residents were able to return to their apartments on Sunday afternoon. With the exception of six dwellings that will be examined by the investigators.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. Highly toxic, it infiltrates the blood system, where it takes the place of oxygen normally carried by the blood. People who experience intoxication experience nausea, fatigue and vomiting first, eventually losing consciousness and dying.

Sage VanVleet

Sage VanVleet was born and raised in Fredericton. He has written for Billboard, The Prague Post, Passport Magazine, The Hartford Courant and Business Insurance Weekly, In regards to academics, Sage earn his BBA from Mcmaster in Hamilton. Sage covers business and economy stories here at Nova Scotia Today..

Recommended For You

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *